Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Assignment 3

A Vision of Students Today

This video speaks volume, without saying a word. The music, signs, and emotionless faces say it all. It is slightly depressing, but in many cases it is reality. It does describe parts of my previous college experience. I took out many loans, attended little class, and rarely found anything my professors said interesting. Probably the reason why I did not graduate in 2002, like I should have. Now I am thirty and I have a family and a job to go along with the responsibilities of being a student. This time a little older and a little wiser, I am paying for each semester as it comes, attending class regularly, and paying close attention to my professors. This seems to be working for me. I can empathize with being a teen with "bigger fish to fry" than going to class. I really am not quite sure why society thinks it is a good idea to start a new chapter in your life[college], leave the proverbial nest, and offer you credit cards all in the same year.
There is not anything I would have added to this video. Many times less is more. It is important to get your point across and not ramble on. I feel this video accomplishes that and leaves the viewer interested for what comes next. Kudos to Kansas State University.

It's Not About the Technology


Sometimes when I am sitting in Dr. Strange's class I feel old and outdated, like a cassette tape. I wonder how will I be a great teacher, if I do not even know how Twitter works. This post by Kelly Hines reaffirms that any teacher willing to be open-minded and use the tools can truly teach. She points out that tools are just that, tools. Computers are not teachers. There are lessons in life that all students must learn and some of them have nothing to do with technology. Does technology help? Why yes it does! Do our students need to know how to use technology? Why yes they do! They, also, need to learn about painting, the smell of chemistry class, and friendships. Things that do not necessarily rely on technology.
I am impressed that Hines speaks out so loudly amongst her "tech savvy" colleagues. She is brave and slightly daring posting it on the world wide web for all sorts of technical geniuses to read and critique. Just from actively attending Dr. Strange's class and completing assignments, I know she already possesses plenty of technical literacy. I have a huge appreciation for any teacher who still places value on continuing to learn.


Fischbowl: Is it OK to be a Technologically Illiterate Teacher?


Mr. Fisch just says all the stuff he thinks teachers should know how to do, but he fails to offer any valid solutions. Of course, we can all agree as the time passes it becomes more and more important to be technically literate. That is why as education students, we are learning and training for these necessary skills. I think he is a little extreme comparing technological literacy to reading, but he makes his point. What suggestions does he offer for his annoyed colleagues? I do not remember reading any. For those teachers in-service and close to retirement, where is their place? I suggest maybe they are not proud of their illiteracy, but just refuse to be ashamed.
I do not mind saying I do not have it figured out. I continue to learn on a daily basis. I am just not willing to stand up and say here is a list and not offer any valid directions on how to achieve the ideas on the list.
I can, however, see how Mr. Fisch won an award for this post. It is easier to gain respect from most people when you are open and honest about your thoughts and ideas. I congratulate Mr. Fisch for doing so, and for winning an award for it. Many people find it is easier just to agree, nod, and move on, but Mr. Fisch wrote his article that made people reflect and possibly change their actions. Even though I do not always like to admit it, this is another win for technology if Mr. Fisch helps just one student have a better chance at success he has achieved something. Yes I, too, mean success in terms of both economic/employment and citizenship/personal fulfillment.

Gary's Social Media Count

I watched the social media count, then I had to shut down my computer for the day. I came back to it the next day and realized the seconds were still running(well of course, the world had not come to an end over night). The numbers are so large. For me as a teacher, it means I have a lot of keeping up to do. It is just so big and vast it is hard to feel like you fit in. And it never stops, like the energizer bunny. It just keeps going and going and going. For me, it means I will have to keep learning and learning and learning.

1 comment:

  1. Something is not correct with the embedded video. We'll check it out Tuesday.

    Wesch:
    This video can be interpreted as a critique of student behavior and of the way we organize and deliver instruction today. You have alluded to the student issues. What about those raised by the teaching methods?
    Kelly Hines:
    We are ALL learning. Every single person in this class. And you will certainly NOT learn all there is to know about how to use technology in your teaching career. But you are getting started. The journey will be a lifelong one! Now another comment on this statement of yours: "[Students] also, need to learn about painting, the smell of chemistry class, and friendships. Things that do not necessarily rely on technology." I agree that these three examples do not necessarily rely on technology, but they can certainly be enhanced by technology. How? 1. Painting: Students can see detail of paintings never before possible, and at no cost, by visiting, for example, The Louvre and thousands of other museums. They still must paint, but 2 all painters need audiences and critics. There is a world out there waiting to see what students have done. And I do mean a world! You shall see in EDM310. Chemistry: What if the smells bother a student, of if she/he has not access to a fully equipped lab. You will discover that some of the best chemistry labs in the world are the interactive, truly hands on labs available on the internet. And they cost nothing to use. All materials are totally recycled! Automatically. Friendships: I imagine you will be surprised by this but my VERY BEST friends in the field of teaching I have never met but with whom I interact regularly on the internet (Twitter, blogs, etc.) So be prepared. There's a great new world awaiting you!

    Fisch:
    Follow his blog on a regular basis. Engage in conversations with the teachers he teaches. You will learn all about his "solutions." Arapahoe High School is lucky. They have Karl Fisch. What about Mobile and Baldwin County? What about the College of Education at the University of South Alabama. Any suggestions? You write: "For me, it means I will have to keep learning and learning and learning." That applies to ALL of us!

    Your post has generated a lot of questions as you start your journey into a "brave new world." Keep up you curiosity and your willingness to learn!

    ReplyDelete