Monday, June 21, 2010

Assignment 7

Richard Miller: This Is How We Dream Parts 1 and 2

If I may be honest, I did not particularly like either one of these videos. Now I do want to point out, it is evident Dr. Richard E. Miller put a lot of hard work and effort into these videos. They just failed to grasp my full attention and enlighten me. If it were not for the fact Dr. Strange prompted the questions, "Are you prepared to write with multimedia?" and "Will your students be able to do this?" I really would not have much of anything to discuss and post on these videos. It seemed, to me, they were more like commercials than lectures. The only thing that reminded me of a lecture was the tone in his voice.
This says absolutely nothing about Dr. Miller's intelligence or ability, but it further exposes the simpleness of myself. Most of the things he was discussing could have just as easily been spoken in Chinese(because I do not know a thing about Chinese). Which I guess easily answers Dr. Strange's first question. No way! I am not ready to write with multimedia because I lack much needed confidence about my current skills. When the time comes, I know I can and will be ready to write with multimedia; for the reasons that I am open-minded and willing to learn. Precise reasons why I watched those videos, complete all these projects, and constantly raise my hand for poor Anthony to come answer my questions.
Onto the second question: Will my students write with multimedia? They probably already do. The ones that do not, I will teach them everything I know. If I do not know it, then I will find out, even if I have to e-mail Dr. Strange.

The Networked Student

This movie was entertaining and informative. I really enjoyed the use of pre-drawn illustrations. It allowed me to gain an additional perspective for my repertoire of educational tools. The author speaks about all the positive impacts acquired from being connected and the knowledge from using those connections. A student is able to learn more, research quicker, and share instantly with a network of peers, professors, and future employers.
Why does the networked student need a teacher? Before listening to this video I wondered the same question, but was too frightened to ask. Drexler did a fantastic job identifying numerous reasons for the networked student to need a teacher. The ones I can most clearly see are encouragement and coaching. The networked student, no matter how independent he or she is, will at times need words of encouragement and actions of persuasion. A teacher can, also, plant seeds of new ideas and freshen perspectives on stalemate topics. These amazing connections found in the big “cloud” are like windows to the world. I believe teachers are the people who open the windows.
Am I a networked student? Well, after completing my PLN status, I was amazed at all the connections I have made in just three weeks. I am subscribing to and following blogs and posts, I am commenting around the globe and receiving comments, and I even have links and RSS feeds. Now I do not necessarily know what all that means, but I am learning. The important part is, I am meeting different people and gaining valuable resources for my future. In addition, I am mastering skills that I will be able to teach my students and use in an everyday setting to enhance the curriculum. Well, oh my goodness isn’t that what education is all about? Teachers who learn from teachers, who learn from teachers, become better teachers and better learners. I think the networked student has figured that out.


The Machine is Changing Us

When the video first began, it sounded much like blah, blah, blah, blah. I was having much difficulty understanding the message. About half way through it things started clicking, probably because the statements he was making do relate to me and my personal life. I am on the edge of the MTV generation and I often times find myself saying, "whatever." I have watched on the sidelines as the world around me changed and then at times of my own self-awareness, I have jumped on the train of change with a big woo-hoo!
When Wesch began discussing the connections YouTube has facilitated, it gave me goosebumps. Starting a family, going to college, and being a teacher have enabled me to feel a part of something bigger than myself. I never really thought being a part of the YouTube community could grant the same feelings. Those people do not just think they are making a difference. They ARE making a difference. I saw those statistics about how many videos are uploaded every minute and how many more are watched everyday.
I just recently did some research of my own on YouTube and its benefits in the classroom for my podcasting project(plan to post by June 30, for all those interested). Although not nearly as extensive or eloquent as Wesch's research, I do know that using it will be an advantage for me and my students. I will use YouTube in my classroom and I am most excited about making videos with my students to assist them in their own self-awareness as they realize the large role they play in the big picture of life.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome analysis Alana. You write very well and express your self masterfully through writing.

    You made some really good points about the multimedia writing. I think you will be a lot better at it than you think. I also think that a good writer can put imagery in the readers mind that is more effective than any multimedia presentation. However, this assumes that the writing is good and there is a high level of comprehension on the part of the reader. I think writing with multimedia has the potential to include the masses by creating some of that imagery that many who are not the best readers or writers may be missing.

    Great work Alana. SS

    ReplyDelete