Sunday, June 27, 2010

Randy Pausch's Last Lecture

Teaching methods? This video is not about teaching methods. I could not even focus on methods. I kept seeing the words "not fair" run through my head as I watched Dr. Pausch's video. Not because I pity him, but because he has had such an influential life, I feel sorry for the people who never meet him or watch his videos. Those people will never get the chance to be impacted and inspired by him. This video captured my attention from beginning to end and I must admit that I was crying by the conclusion. There I was sitting in my room with my headphones on tears running down my cheeks. The video, that I truly thought was for my personal gain and education, was really for his children. His family has every right to be proud of him. I think, Dr. Pausch could best be described as the fairy godfather of computer geeks. He really did help make his students' dreams come true.
So if I must comment on some methods here are the ones that I heard:
Work hard, be honest and earnest, think about others, and never let a brick wall keep you from your dreams. Using these ideas and passing them on to my students and colleagues, is another way Dr. Pausch has made a difference in the world, long after his death.
On a more technical response I was captivated by the use of visuals and graphs during his lecture. His comical props and surprise birthday cake are amusing and heartwarming. What do you call his method of delivering information, touching the heart, influencing the mind, encouraging emotions, and shaping tomorrow? Whatever it is, I like it.
I really agree with the project based group work Dr. Pausch uses in his curriculum. He reminds me a little bit of Dr. Strange. I have had some experience with this method of learning. I have noticed I have learned more by doing than by just listening and absorbing. Most recently in Dr. Strange's class I have had to do solo and group projects. I know for sure I learned more about creating and managing a blog by having my own, than by listening to someone else talk about theirs.
Methods? Methods you ask? A method is just a how to project. If you really want to learn something do it, rather than talk about how to go about doing it maybe if you get the time or the opportunity. You never know when it will be your "Last Lecture."

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the video also, he was definitely a man that led an influential life. I will definitely be watching more of his videos. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like this video really spoke to you like it did me. You made some great observations and as I was reading your remarks I was thinking it is all about perseverance. I think he is saying that if something is important enough to do, then it is important enough to stick to it out and get it done. Don't quit. There was no "quit" in Randy Pausch. We can talk about fundamentals, leadership, walls, or whatever but it all boils down to perseverance. SS

    ReplyDelete
  3. i get inspired by the video as well

    ReplyDelete