Sunday, July 11, 2010

Blog Post 11/Assignment 12

skype logo
Skype conversation Strange and Cassidy
Ms. Cassidy uses a technological approach to education and utilizes it in the classroom for writing lessons. She notes that we can no longer use the same tools we used 5 years ago to teach today's students. Technology is rapidly changing and she has been fortunate to obtain computers for her class to use and a technical engineer to help her set up programs. I love watching the children interact with each other as they check their classmates blogs. It is most impressive to observe as their skills improve. They are gaining confidence in their abilities and in return are acquiring an out-going traits. These elements will help them to be better learners, critical thinkers, and successful students.
I am anxious to implement various technological tools in my class. I feel the benefits are endless and the possibilities are limitless because technology can be applied to every school subject. Some difficulties that could arise are lack of funding or necessary equipment which can be combated with grants and donations. Another "brick wall" that I have been dealing with in my current classroom is the lack of internet access. I have to save all of our recordings at school and then post everything at night when I am at home. Hopefully, I will not encounter this problem in the public school setting. I know the biggest advantage for my students is the excitement they have for hands-on activities. When they are engaged in the learning process, they learn more.
Ms. Cassidy is a role model and excellent exemplar for the ways technology can be utilized. She discusses some of the issues that are important to the children's privacy and safety and gives valid solutions. She is inspirational and proof that these are ideas that work. I will most definitely, use the class blogs and podcasts in my classroom. I was relieved to find out that all the children used in the production were not first graders. I appreciate the way she used her valuable resources (last year's class). If you want to be amazed at a group of kids and be inspired to be the best teacher you can be you should watch this video, First Graders in Ms. Cassidy's Class: Little Kids Big Potential.

3 comments:

  1. Alana, I agree that the children are improving their skills by using technology at an early age. Learning to be critical thinkers at an early age is a must. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, early second graders. Thoughtful, well written post. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post Alana. These students are impressive. You are right these students are learning to interact in new ways and that is exciting.

    Good luck with the internet at school. This is still a major problem in the public schools. But I think it is getting better.

    Keep up the good work. SS

    ReplyDelete