Monday, July 26, 2010

Final Reflection

So this is it, the last assignment. Eight weeks ago this day couldn't have arrived here soon enough, and now that it is staring me in the face I am honestly feeling rather poignant. Dr. Strange had included a list of questions on the class blog to think about and reflect upon, but oddly enough I have been thinking about most of them for almost a month now. We are supposed to include what we have learned, mention some things that stand out, identify a few aspects of our teaching which might have been changed, and of course what we found out about ourselves.
I know that I really enjoyed the lab times. They were directly related to my success in this class. Anthony and Jamie Lynn are amazing teachers and because of them I was not afraid to ask for help when I needed it. Keep in mind, I did not say they were not afraid of me asking for help. For the most part I, also, enjoyed the projects. I learned that I can stay up until 11:59 twice a week and still be productive during the day. I feel extremely accomplished, because at the beginning of the semester, I remember thinking to myself, "there's no way I can do this," but I did it. I was the student that only had basic computer skills. When I say basic, I mean BASIC. I had previously had an Introduction to Microcomputing class which covered Word, Excel, and Power Point but I did not really learn anything. Then I get to Dr. Strange's class and I learn so much, it is bubbling out of me and I can't wait to share it with others. It is almost contagious or something. I just get so excited that often times others look at me strangely when I am explaining what I am doing or how to do it. Let them look at me strangely; I do not care, because from the words of the great Gina Pace, "I love being able to say Google me."
I really do not have enough time or space in this post to go into detail about the improvements I need to make, but I am willing and eager to continue learning so I think that is more important. In another class I was taking this semester, my professor always stressed that being a good teacher was not about turning your students into something else or making them people they are not. Dr. Strange did not turn me into something else (not even a mac lover), I am still me. Only now, I feel like a better me. So here is my final reflection: any class that I can learn new tools, meet extraordinary people, and feel better about myself and my teaching capabilities is considered successful. EDM 310=Mission Accomplished.
On a p.s. note I plan to continue blogging and by this weekend my daughter Kyla will have her blog up. I will have a link to it on my blog. Thanks to all the readers, commentators, critics, and positive thinkers who chose to "follow me along my journey, as I learn to become an effective blogger." I was right it definitely was an "adventure for all persons involved."

The word FINAL

4 comments:

  1. Excellent. here are the highlights for me: "I was not afraid to ask for help when I needed it." Even a farm girl (well, you do live in Loxley) can stay up late and get up early! "I remember thinking to myself, "there's no way I can do this," but I did it." Especially, the "but I did it." "...it is bubbling out of me and I can't wait to share it with others." How wonderful! "Let them look at me strangely; I do not care, because from the words of the great Gina Pace, 'I love being able to say Google me.' " "I feel like a better me." Fantastic!
    "EDM 310=Mission Accomplished." What we wanted!

    Don't forget to send me Kyla's link.

    Thanks for your enthusiasm, outstanding work, and many questions! Remember another motto of mine: Questions Are more Important Than the Answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alana, you've done it once again! Dr. Strange, Jamie Lynn and I all read your post separately in the lab, but we all knew who's blog post we were reading because all of us laughed a whole bunch while reading it.

    Thanks for making us smile so often-- your attitude and humor are just as contagious as the tools you've used in EDM 310. I can't wait to see Kyla's blog and here what else you have to say! Keep in touch and don't forget to keep tweeting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alana,

    I have loved getting to know you this past semester. You are an excellent student, and I greatly enjoyed helping you. I know you will be a great teacher. You are already extremely creative and fun. I don't know any child that would not love to have a teacher like you. Congratulations on your success in the class. Please keep in touch, and I would love if you contributed to the Alumni Blog. Your ideas would greatly benefit the blog, and I would greatly appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete