Saturday, July 3, 2010

Not an assignment

If you read the title, you are probably wondering "She has time for that?" The answer is NO, but I just could not help myself. I had my Pre-Kindergarten class brainstorm some ideas for videos that we could do. They, not me, came up with some really good ideas. One of their ideas was to read books. Since during the 2009-2010 school year almost all of them learned to read I thought this was a great idea. I must admit I was slightly concerned about how well they would do, since they are not extremely fluent with their reading skills. They do a great job of sounding out and reading small sentences in a structured setting, but being able to show the pictures, speak loud and clear, and pausing for punctuation are slightly more complicated tasks. Then something wonderful happened! One of my students from last year has come to visit for the summer. She is helping out and keeping me on my toes. Guess what? She has mastered these more difficult skills I just mentioned and all the kids in the class want to be just like her. They want to go to big school like her, they want to run as fast as her, and now they want to read like her. This idea could not have worked out any more perfectly. Check out the video "Katie reads Why the Frog has Big Eyes" and see how attentive the other students are as she reads the story to the next generation of "big-schoolers." I am so proud of her! She inspired them more in just a few minutes, than I did in a whole year. What a way to use technology in the classroom. Now everyday the kids are practicing reading their books. They, too, want to read a story to the whole class and have me record them. Stay tuned for more non-assignments. We have some more ideas in the works.

No comments:

Post a Comment