Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Blog Post 12/Assignment 13

geometric shapes

M-Cubed: ISTE Presentation
After watching this video, I was really interested in what they were doing. The students were excited about printing their projects and even more thrilled when it turned out the way they expected. I know you probably realize Dr. Strange assigned us to watch more videos, but I was genuinely interested in checking this "FabLab" out. So I watched...
FabLab ModelMaker: Change a Shape Net's Permutation
and
FabLab ModelMaker: Break Apart or Separate Shape Nets
I watched, not necessarily learned, how to construct shapes and break them down. Both videos were very informative and well illustrated, I just learn better hands-on. Yes, Dr. Strange that is what makes your class completely educational because we actually learn and not just memorize. I would like to spend some time playing with the FabLab. I am a complete math lover and I was interested from the beginning. I think with mathematics, more than any other subject, it is imperative to visualize the process and being able to have the tangible product in your hands is just about as visual as it gets. The next video I watched was chosen because it had been viewed by so many. It is called The Children's Engineering Initiative. It is not what I first thought it was. I learned how Virginia is leading the way for technological use in elementary schools. I, also, saw the struggle that is evident in just about all elementary schools. No matter though how difficult the process or how many "brick walls" one may hit, it is the initiative that gets the ball rolling. If you do not actually roll the ball, that is alright, too. Just get in there every now and then and give it a little push.

2 comments:

  1. So right Alana! It is so important to be innovative and make the learning experience the best it can be with the available tools. As teachers we will always run into a lot of "brick walls" in the form of funding, equipment, regulations, and sometimes opinion. But, like your said we have to at least attempt to role the ball. SS

    ReplyDelete
  2. residential remodeling Wellesley MA very efficiently written information. It will be beneficial to anybody who utilizes it, including me. Keep up the good work. For sure i will check out more posts. This site seems to get a good amount of visitors.

    ReplyDelete